Hawcoat Park v Upper Eden Boars

Hawcoat Park (16) v Upper Eden Boars (20)

Saturday 19th November, 2016

A lot of snow on the hills, mountains and side of the roads but none on the pitch. We travelled with 15 players with Dave Wynne doing a good job as captain. The game was only a minute old when a quick ball from the first scrum saw fly half Lewis Sayle slice through the home defence to feed bus driver Jay Crowe to score 0 -5. Eden were soon on the attack and hit the post with a penalty attempt, soon after Eden had a 5 metre lineout from which their forwards caught and drove over the Hawcoat line cv good 7 -5 with 11 minutes gone. Eden put a penalty between the post in the 13th minute 10-0. Eden were having a lot of possession mainly from line-outs where Hawcoat rarely won a ball all afternoon, only resolute defensive work countering the Eden attacks. In the 26th minute an Eden centre showed a clean pair of heels to score a good but soft try from my point of view 15- 5. The rest of the half saw some good ball retention from our forwards with the likes of the Woodburn brothers Mark and Paul driving in hard to gain ground. Young Charlie  Butterworth was having a fine all round game in his first senior outing showing lots of potential for the future. We also had a couple of kickable penalties that we chose not to have a go at.

The second half began with Hawcoat not clearing the ball down the line from in our 22 and the Eden side gaining possession for their backs to take the opportunity to score 20-5. Elliot McDermott was showing from the fullback birth what good vision he has for a break backed up with his deceptive pace, from one of his runs a poor final pass prevented us from scoring. In the 54th minute following good forward play by Ryan Brown, Rob Harvey and Joe Rea a penalty was awarded which Ewan James playing in the unfamiliar number 8 position stroked the ball nicely between the posts 20-8. Eden were being penalised often for forward offences when we were taking them on, from one of these James put another good kick between the posts to bring the score closer 20- 11. Hawcoats forwards were putting Eden  under a lot of pressure pummelling their line, the ball should have gone out to the backs a few times where overlaps were  begging to be used. In the 76th minute the ball was finally transferred along the back line for Dan Hayes to score in the corner 20- 16 and 5 minutes to play. Two minutes to go when McDermott made a break from our 22 gained ground and put a long kick in
which Eden under pressure kicked into touch on their 5 metre line. Our throw in and a chance to score against the creaking Eden defence and win
the game, not to be, Eden took our throw again kicked to touch and the ref blew for full time, a disappointing end after a grafting 80 minutes by all 15 players. Half backs Shannon and Sayle had solid games along with Rob Shepherd on the wing, Dave Wynne put some telling tackles in, Joe Garnet played well in the loose. After a nice scran and a jug from Eden we had a couple of more pints before setting off home with some good vibes on the bus from DJ Rob Harvey.

Well played boys now lets be up for the visit of Vale of Lune to Hawcoat next week and then let us get some of our Home only players on the bus to Rossendale the following week.

Report By Terry Williamson.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply