Fylde 4th v Hawcoat Park A Report


Fylde 4th 17 – 14 Hawcoat Park A

Saturday 28th October 2017

Travelled with 19 players to a grey damp Lytham arriving at 2.45 due to roadwork holdups on the M6. Four bus virgins OMG and six year sold Harley James Williamson (youth policy taken home by car) many thanks to Martin Heywood for kindly driving the bus.
I could see that Fylde had a few old heads in both the forwards and backs which usually meant they had played at a better standard than the 4th team in their youth. Five minutes into the game the Fylde forwards did a truck and trailer (horse and cart to some of our past players) from 20 metres out to cross the Hawcoat try line and score 5 – 0 showing they knew what they were doing. In the 14th minute Joe Dalton put a penalty attempt just wide of the posts. Both sides were playing rugby with Fylde securing more ball in the loose than Hawcoat. Half way through the half hawcoat put a lot of
pressure on Fylde’s line and should have scored but we kept taking recycled ball back into the well drilled home forwards when the ball should have been moved out to the backs. Fylde broke out of their half down the right to be thwarted by an excellent tackle round the ankles by Jay Crowe who was up on his feet in a flash to take the ball and clear the danger, we don’t often see that nowadays. The half time whistle was looming with the Fylde forwards pounding the Hawcoat line, only solid tackling keeping them out and forcing a knock on which prompted the ref to blow the half time whistle.

Ten minutes into the second half a try went begging when the ball should have been passed out, Mike Gibson was having another solid game in defence and gaining ground with the ball in hand, Charlie Butterworth covered every blade of grass again and new player to the area James Dallimore in the centre looks a good prospect for the club. In the 55th minute a penalty was awarded 10 metres from the Fylde line, Dave Wynne took a quick tap taking the direct route to the try line, the most positive action of the day, Joe Dalton obliged with a fine conversion and we were leading 5- 7. Hawcoat were playing a bit better, forcing themselves into the Fylde 22 to finish off some good support play with a well taken try by Peter Jennens, Dalton converted, 5 – 14 and 2 scores clear with 20 minutes remaining. We then turned into our own worst enemy when every opportunity should have been to kick deep into the oppositions half and let them fight their way out, we took the ball to them in our half and seemed to lose possession more often than not which resulted in what I would call 2 soft converted tries’ for Fylde and the lead which they kept to the final whistle 17-14. A game we should have taken the points from, with the right options taken we would have. The game is about possession and usually the side with most ball should win. Things not to do next week is forwards running at opposition forwards without support, far too often forwards were isolated and had the ball turned over loosing possession, we also lost a lot of possession by kicking down Fylde’s throats who never dropped a ball all game and turned defence into attack. Most of our side are young lads, when we come across older sides we have to run the legs off them not play into their hands by running straight at them.
Let’s learn from this game and put on a good display against Sedgley Park 4ths next week kick off 2.15pm.

Terry Williamson

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply