Hawcoat Park A v Preston Grasshoppers

Hawcoat Park “A” 60 – 5 Preston Grasshoppers 4th

Saturday 17th November 2018

A good sunny day but a rare East chilled wind blowing across the pitch, within 2 minutes of the kick off Euan James slotted a penalty between the uprights 3-0. In the 5th minute James took a ball from scrum half Scott Garnett to feed centre Connor Mc Dermott running straight through the Preston defence to score, cv James 10-0. Following pressure on the Preston line by the Hawcoat pack the returning Chris Milby crossed the whitewash, cv James 17-0 in the 17th minute.. Hawcoat were playing with determination causing problems in the Preston ranks when a forced loose ball in a tackle was snapped up by the alert Mc Dermott to outpace the defence to score his second try, cv James 24-0 with 15 mins gone. Preston managed to put a good passage of play together by their forwards to end in a try crashing over the Hawcoat line out wide, cv missed 24-5. In the 20th minute second row Luke Shaw gathered a poor Preston kick, then gaining ground before linking up with his backs where Connor McDermott was on hand to score his 3rd try, cv James 31-5. The next 20 minutes was a procession of penalties which killed the game for players  and supporters alike.

The second half was only 8 minutes old when some slick passing and support saw Jay Crowe flying down the wing to score from a final pass from Coles,cv missed 36-5. In the 10th minute Chris Milby who had been covering the park inflicting some crunching tackles was ask to leave the park for 10 minutes by Ref. Les Hall. Hawcoat were still hard to contain with 14 men which showed in the 15th minute when the determined straight running McDermott crashed over the whitewash for his 4th try, cv James 43-5. The forwards were driving the ball in hard with Ryan Brown, Mike Gibson and Luke Shaw at the fore, the recycled ball was being used to great effect out in the backs where Jason Milby was showing what an asset he is to the side with some nice touches and runs in attack and solid tackles in defence. In the 17th minute the backs were attacking again showing some great interplay before Coles crossed the line, cv missed 48-5. The backs were on hand again in the 23rd minute when Coles went in for his second try after some confident play, cv missed 53-5. Hawcoat ran in their final try in the 27th minute by the elusive running Lewis Sayle who also converted 60-5. The final whistle was blown with 10 minutes to go.

A good all round performance again, Cotton was sound at #15 Peter Matthews got stuck in at wing forward, Adam Armstrong continues to improve putting in one fine run, nice to see the return of Adam Williamson back performing against his old club Preston following 4/5 weeks with an injury. A great squad effort boys. A big thankyou to Rob Shepherd who put in a solid 80 minutes for the opposition. Preston picked Chris Milby our man of the match, he won the drink off by a half pint.

Lets all make another big effort to be available for the trip to Rochdale next Saturday.
Great effort.
Terry Williamson.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply