A team report from Saturday

Hawcoat Park “A” 29 – 19 Rochdale 3rds

Saturday 23rd March 2019

Last home game of the season welcomed us with sunshine and a slight westerly wind blowing down the pitch from the Irish sea. Playing against the wind the first 10 minutes were even until Hawcoats’ first venture into the oppositions 22 lead to us scoring a try which was converted by Joe Dalton 7-0. Corey Doughty was yellow carded for robust play and during this period Rochdale scored a try when from a penalty a forward ran through our defence to cross the white wash, conversion hit the upright and bounced out 7 – 5 with 20 mins on clock. Rochdale were using the wind when in possession to kick deep, on one of these occasions in our 22 the mature Rochdale fly half waltzed through our defence under the posts, cv good and the lead changed hands 7 – 12. In the 30th minute Joe Dalton reduced the arrears when he slotted a 40-metre kick between the uprights 12 – 12. Hawcoat had wasted a few chances to score by not doing the simple things in rugby correctly but with 5 mins to half time Adam Williamson put a kick into the oppositions 22 where the winger kicked into touch, Adam took a quick throw in to Martin Kennedy while the Rochdale forwards were walking back, fed the supporting Richard Dalton to score and son Joe converted 17 -12 and in the lead which we kept to the half time whistle blew.

The second half started with the wind at our backs being used to keep us in the Rochdale half. In the 55th minute a loose ball by Rochdale was snapped up by Joe Dalton to score out wide, he obliged with a good conversion 24 – 12. In the 65th minute Rochdale scored a try when the biggest forward ran through our defence to score and convert, I shouted it rather a lot during this game ” they can’t go anywhere without their legs” a soft try 24 – 19 and Rochdale were looking as though they could win this game. Dave Wynne came off the subs bench and could have scored nearly straight away if passed to, 5 minutes later Dave ran onto the ball and showed how to beat the opposition and find the try line leaving tacklers in his wake, cv missed 29 – 19. The highlight of my afternoon was with a couple of minutes to go linesman Wilf Heywood shouted at the ref who was his son Martin ” open your eyes ref” the reply was “do you want to be sent off to the clubhouse” to which with great laughter I shouted “it won’t be the first time Martin”. Peter Matthews again put some telling tackles in, well supported by Austin Meadows but some players have got to stop playing tig rugby.

Final score 29 -19.

Terry Williamson.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply