Hawcoat 1XV v Silloth

Hawcoat Park 55  Silloth 17

Saturday 22nd February 2020

To put things into perspective a car containing Silloth players was involved in an accident on the M6 on the way down. Whilst the car was a mess thankfully the Silloth lads were not seriously hurt and all at Hawcoat Park wish them all the best in their recovery and of course dealing with the insurance company. This incident left Silloth further short handed and with us at home and therefore having a full squad rather than having our lads standing around on a cold miserable day we decided to apply the new RFU “Game on Principles.” For the purposes of this game basically this meant we lent Silloth enough lads to get a more competitive enjoyable game. Well done to the likes of Matt Burrows Joe Rea Jack Shannon Kennan Cotton Benji Platt who upheld the spirit of the game at our level by pulling on the Silloth shirt at varying stages.

As to be expected we started best as Silloth got to know their new found teammates and their capabilities and it was not long before fly half George Smith got the ball moving through hands out wide for winger Glenn Kaighan to finish well in the corner. Smith could not convert booting the ball from out wide into the teeth of a gale. 5 – 0. The game then settled down into a reasonable watch with the maroon and white lads mainly concentrating on lining up their normal teammates wearing Silloth colours trying to rattle them with hard but of course fair tackles. The stand out performer was our dynamic back row Alfie White whose all action performance and strong running brought him a first half hat trick of trys two of which Smith did very well to convert.  After his first try with the score at 10- 0,Silloth got their first try when their coach former captain and absolute stalwart of the club Phil Scott chased up an accurate cross kick into space to touch down.

Before half time there was time for a second Silloth try through their strong running second row and also a good handling move from ourselves to produce a try for the powerful Rodney Odondi. Who has improved no end from the young lad who joined our club into now a very impressive strong running wingman. Smith added another fine conversion. Half time 31 – 10.
In difficult cold windy conditions the second half was not as easy for players and the hard core spectators but it was certainty not a one sided affair as the Silloth barbarians really stuck to their task. Four further home trys followed at even intervals throughout the second half including a second for Rodney Odondi and for Joe Rea Chris Burns and Lewis Sayle with George Smith doing well to convert two.

It was good to see the final try deservedly going to Silloth through their powerful centre under the posts.Final score 55 – 17. It was good to see strong running Matt Sayle back in maroon and white looking to regain his match fitness after a long spell out through injury. Also to see A team skipper Pete Jennens demonstrating he is not out of place at this level and also to young Kennan Cotton who always runs and tackles way above his weight.

Again well done to the Silloth lads who battled through on the long journey down and a final thanks to referee George Tressider who sensibly controlled matters both on and off the pitch to help produce a good enjoyable game of rugby under the circumstances.

John Horne
Hawcoat Park RU

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply