Hawcoat Park 1st XV v Creighton

Hawcoat Park 62. Creighton 0

Considering all the heavy rain to hit the county in the last week the pitch was in good condition to start the game testament to the work put in by the small grounds team in particular Lee and club legend Nobby Clarke – thank you guys. Carlisle based Creighton had made the sodden journey down from the north of the county and they too were complimentary about the playing surface greeting them.
Whilst on the wrong side of a heavy defeat as always Creighton worked very hard collectively showing their usual spirit playing as one united  team to always make life difficult and really make us work hard for every one of our trys. From the kick off we showed good intent to play a more expansive game moving the ball a bit more from the platform set up front. Winger Alex Brown ran well and went close a couple of times only to be stopped by some enthusiastic Creighton cover defence.10 mins in all the pressure told and fly half Will Coles who was to look sharp all game scored our first try after good work by Mike Lightfoot and ever improving prop Lewis Phillips in the pack. Coles converted his own try 7- 0.The second try went to the returning second row John Donnan who strongly finished off his try following good work by scrum half Jack Shannon and centre Chris Burns – Coles again converted 14 – 0.
By now we were starting to dominate up front and well led by the experience of skipper Andy Kent and second row Chris Thompson who after getting fit during lockdowns is week in week out doing great work and all that unseen grunt necessary to secure the ball up front at the “coal face.”
Four further trys following before half time scored by hardworking back row pair Alfie White and Rory Sayle and also full back Benji Platt and Will Coles for his second try. Two of the trys Coles converted. Half time 38- 0.
Many teams heads would of dropped and waved the white  flag but not Creighton they did really well in the second half trying to play open rugby with the ball they secured and at times really testing our defence. The Creighton defence was strong and made us work really hard for the four second half trys which we scored by centre Dan Lightfoot hooker Brad Morrow a second for Benji Platt and Rodney Odondi. The last one pleased the home followers who for sometime are of the view the strong running winger does not see enough ball. He finished this try of well running hard including a fine hand off. Will Coles converted two to make a final score of 62 – 0.
It was good to bounce back with an enjoyable confidence building display – which will certainly be needed next week when unbeaten table toppers Upper Eden visit Barrow. Also on the plus side it was good to see Lewis Sayle back in maroon and white for the first time this season after returning from an ankle injury.
Fair play to the majority of the Creighton squad who stayed for a few beers however they also lost the Man of the match drink off with Alfie White winning that one.
Thanks to referee George Tresidder who calmly controlled the game well as he progresses well with his level of games.
The great news for the Club was after a long gap in games and through the considerable efforts of Jason Meadows and skipper Pete Jennens the A team got a team together to travel to a strong Vale of Lune team and play on their massive first team pitch. The heavy defeat did not matter – well done to all the players and all concerned.

John Horne


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply